PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 06:53
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by titaniumspoon
... If he or she battles in the sim, give extra sessions. The pilot has been selected and has cost money already, hence- “Make it work.” Further, if he or she battles with line training: give extra sectors, make it work...
I think your comments (quoted above) are scurrilous.

For example, FlightSafety's motto is "Train to Proficiency". By this, they mean that as long as a candidate is making progress, the candidate will be given as much training as they require in order to achieve proficiency. No additional charge is ever made for this. I think FlightSafety has learned a few things about pilot training in the 60 years that they have been in the business.

There is not a correlation between the length of time required to achieve proficiency and the skill or competency of an individual pilot. Adults learn at different rates - some absorb verbal information quickly, others need an opportunity to practice things "hands on". Further, outside influences such as family stress, pressures of relocation, anxiety related to a new job, etc. can all have a detrimental effect on how rapidly the candidate reaches proficiency.

I've hired a lot of pilots, and I've trained a lot of pilots, and my experience has been that how quickly (or slowly) they complete their training program is generally not indicative of how they will perform once they are out on the line.

If any air carrier introduces a policy that says "Once we select you, we'll give you as much sim training as you need to become proficient and meet standards, and we'll give you as much line training as you need to become proficient and meet standards" - hey, that's a darn good thing for system safety. It takes a lot of pressure off the candidate, and it assures the candidate that the organization will not compromise standards just to stay within a budget.