PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 29th Sep 2009, 06:26
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFC I i give it a benefit of a doubt and leave it at that. Perhaps you're right don't know. However so far I haven't seen anyone setting 1500 ft in the ALT shooting a visual, everyone was preselecting ALT for a published one whatever it might be. Again doesn't mean we're right, who knows.
Funny enough the subject of comm fail was brought up. We're all aware bout the comm fail procedure VMC IMC etc.

For the purpose of these procedures ATC will expect and IFR flight following the ATS route structure to adopt the IMC procedure as detailed below. If there is an overriding safety reason, the pilot may adopt the VMC procedure.

Aircraft inbound to London (Heathrow)

1.In the event radio communication failure occurs before ETA, or before EAT when this has been received and acknowledged, pilot inbound to London (Heathrow) Airport will:
–fly to the appropriate holding point as detailed in the STAR;
–hold until the last acknowledged ETA plus 10 minutes, or EAT when this has been given;
–then commence descent for landing in accordance with specified procedures and effect a landing within 30 minutes, or later if able to approach and land visually.
2.If the radio communication failure occurs after aircraft has reported to ATC on reaching holding point, pilot will maintain the last assigned level over the holding point until:
–ATA over holding point plus 10 minutes, or 10 minutes after the last acknowledged communication with ATC, whichever is the later, or
–EAT, when this has been received and acknowledged;
–then commence descent for landing in accordance with specified procedures and effect a landing within 30 minutes, or later if able to approach and land visually.
3.If radio communication failure occurs during initial approach under radar vectoring, the procedures to be followed are shown on Jeppesen 10-1R chart.
4.If radio communication failure occurs following a missed approach the aircraft will:
–fly to the appropriate missed approach holding point at 3000ft;
–complete at least one holding pattern;
–then commence descent for landing in accordance with specified procedures.

I presume that can be the case after one's cleared for a visual. Why is it ATC prefers one to follow published MA for comm failure opposite to LT 1500 ft waiting for the light beam?

Oz great idea with the mobile hopefully the I phone isn't gonna give up on us at that very important moment.
Cheerio gents