PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 29th Sep 2009, 05:51
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by saintex2002
Dear, OzExpat, the problem is not what are you going to do ?..., the problem, dear OzExpat, is what are you expected to do ?... , going around during a visual approach, following, of course as a very pro.airman like you certainly are, an indisputable published rule well known by all of us, the others pilots in the loop, and the worldwilde ATCO community...
So to that problem : what are you expected to do ?... , dear, OzExpat, there is no ICAO ruled answer... for the time being...and you are still free to perform as aware as you are, going around during a visual...hope Murphy doesn't blind your R/T too...
What am I expected to do? I'm expected to be able to think for myself, use initiative whenever necessary, make sound command judgements and act professionally - it's part of what I'm paid to do. This is what comes first when one thinks about the concept of aviate, navigate, communicate - or do you really prefer that ATC flies your aeroplane for you? Perhaps you are being paid for something different, dear saintex?

As for R/T problems, yes that can happen anywhere. If all the radios die at the same time, I look for ATC light signals while the PNF uses a mobile phone to call the Tower... No, that's not in any rulebook I've ever read, but it IS part of the lateral thinking that is required of a pilot who is in command! But I'm sure you knew that...