PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - you didn't make the cut & needn't apply again
Old 29th Sep 2009, 04:53
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
putting your balls on the line

Cynical I think its purely a supply and demand thing. I've worked in all sorts of industries and most places favour people that will try to meet the people that do the hiring and firing face to face.

The place that I worked was not that far from a major centre, lets say 3 hours one way by car. An ugly, hot, expensive, ****hole however.

I certainly wasn't rolling in cash being many many thousands in debt through various loans and institutions combined with the baked beans on toast thing. Juggling credit, food , accom loans ect.

You would be horrified to hear that several times during my career I've made journeys involving literally days of driving and/or buying an expensive airfare to walk in and shake the CP's hand hand over my one page CV and leave. And then do it all again to get the rating/course/ticket that they had as min requirement when a job came up.

I guess it comes down to how much you want it. Had a mate spend 50k on a licence but couldn't get past the cost of accommodation in the north west so he gave up. An interesting investment strategy indeed.

This is the reality of the industry. As a previous poster points out it weeds out those that really want it to those that REALLY want it. And given the work/conditions/situations when you get it you've got to R E A L L Y want it and my mate that gave up did himself and everyone else a favour because he just didn't have what it takes.

You will find a way that works for you.