PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skywest sets sights on push into Asia
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 04:07
westausatc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
west_atc,

Thinking more the sandpit atm. At least there they provide a free trip home as part of the package each year. But we will see where we end up (if anywhere different to here!)

Kimberley,

F100s may do 310KIAS all the way down but for us as enroute controllers, it is above 12-15,000 that it counts and they descend earlier than Boeings, hence lose the TAS advantage earlier and end up with a slower speed over the ground. If you were able to do 310KIAS with a similar descent profile to the Boeings, probably wouldn't be an issue.

It's the same reason Airbus aircraft are slower from top of descent to hand-off to APP and this is why I put Boeing first if I can.

HKF,

Have never been told by an Airbus they can do more than 320KIAS - will try and find out why next time. Maybe that has something to do with company procedures more than the jet itself but that is all opaque to us. All we get told is max is 320. And then (as above) with Airbus descending earlier than Boeing (although to be fair, the A320 isn't too far behind - miles better than the A330!), can end up in a less advantageous sequencing position.

As for the getting stuck behind a Boeing on final - I am not one of the chosen ones who has an approach licence. I am but a poor enroute controller so I have never seen that before. Interesting point though!

What would be really good for you guys is if you were able to come in and see how we do what we do and see the difference in aircraft performance. It would also be brilliant if we could spend more time in the cockpit as well!! But given all of our staffing situations and budgetary constraints, I think we know the chances of that happening...