PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 28th Sep 2009, 13:39
RandyBMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is fair to give you the information they provide. There really aren't any secrets, as they tell you exactly what the process will be once you arrive.

The first day is a quick intro to the company, followed by timed tests of math, reaction times, ATPL questions, and a stick and rudder test, almost like a video game.

The math test, which is what I was worried about, is general stuff, not aviation related. Basic algebra and geometry (Pythagorean theorem) and some decimal division and multiplication. The big thing with the math is time - try to skip anything taking too long.

The only other part of the written you can study for is the ATPL questions. It is JAA, not FAA, based.

You then head to the simulator for the evaluation.

The sim eval ride may be different for everyone, as even my partner and I had slight variations. It is a visual circuit with no flight director, autopilot or autothrottle, and no ILS or VASI/PAPI. From that, you will do a go around then get everything back. The engine fails and you do a single engine approach to minimums, see the runway and land. Everything is done out of DXB.

If you pass day 1, they call you in the hotel room and invite you back for day 2. It involves a full HR brief, followed by two psychometric tests that you can't study for. They then have upper management speak with you, in my case the Chief Pilot, who was a great guy. After a short break, you are then brought in for the panel interview with a pilot and an HR person, and I would bet that the questions asked are based on the results of your psychometric profile. They are all situational, with no technical questions other than maybe some small follow ups on your stories. Have a lot of your aviation stories ready. I used Checklist for Success by Cheryl Cage to prep for that part, and it seemed to work well. After the panel interview, you are brought to the psychologist, who gives you feedback on the tests you took in the morning. They are spot on! He may follow up with further questions as well.

Once compete, you then head to the clinic for a lengthy and thorough medical that involves a hearing test, eye exam, physical exam, bloodwork, urine sample, EKG, and chest X-ray. This is a long process, so bring a book (4 hours or more).

After the interview is completed, you will be notified 4-7 weeks from the date on success or not.

My general perception is that it would be a great place to work for. Everyone involved really gives you the idea that they want you to be there. The culture reminded me of Southwest, though tighter knit. The facilities are Emirates', and are extremely impressive.

I know there have been changes made to the process since I was interviewed. It now is a three day process, and my guess is they just moved the medical to the last day. I would certainly not study "the interview", but rather prepare yourself by doing some study on your personal stories and brush up on your math. They will get to know you through this process, so be yourself!

Hope that helps!
Randy

Last edited by RandyBMC; 1st Mar 2010 at 11:19.