PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India pilots on strike.
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2009, 12:24
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Topic:

Two cents..

IMHO, Due to the lack of regulatory and enforcement mechanisms in India the unions have a unique role to play in the Indian economy and development. Hence they cannot be discarded.

The usual argument that they are generally counterproductive is not acceptable because unions just like managements have to work under regulatory mechanisms. The design and efficacy of these mechanisms decides the efficiency of entities working within them.

Managements often have been cause of 'mismanagement-led-inefficiencies', but none talks about banishing the management.

Unions have a positive role to play, the fact that they are not doing it means they need a overhaul and not a clip-the-wing-of-the-reds.

In any economy capital and labor compete with each other, a proper balance has to be reached. This balance is more towards labor in the west than in India (neo-capitalisitic) or China (Communist).

So personally I will always oppose any move to curtail any union.

PS: I am not a red, most of my economics understanding comes from Adam Smith. (and that may not be a lot of understanding)