PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2009, 09:49
intelligentpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got as pm from a guy who shows interest in a job as an F/O at HKA/HKE. He asked my opinion, and I will share here for others considering a job there.
I can answer some of your questions. 3 F/O's already resigned. Due to leave in a month.

This company is only good as a place to get experience and move to greener pastures. But ONLY if you can not get any other jet job. Go there, get a few hours and always have applications in elsewhere to move on. Find out about the BOND. 5 YEARS! 50,000 USD. That is way too much for a 737. When you get the new job, do not resign, just do not show up to work. Do not even bother saying goodbye. Just pay your tax before hand and leave.

If you get hired there do not expect anything they tell you in the interview to be true. They are a bunch of Liars. Just go there, live cheaply get experience and get another job. Never stay for the promise of a command because it will not happen. Plan to live on receiving 35,000 HKG dollars a month. This is tight in Hong Kong as it is expensive. Rents are going UP at the moment. You might be an expat but you’re not on expat conditions. You pay for you own ticket home. You receive half pay during annual leave, which is illegal but the guys still employed are too scared to peruse it. Medical is a joke. Provident fund is a joke. Housing allowance is non existent. Morale is low, people are unhappy. Pay is not competitive with other Asian airlines.

Do not be surprised if you move your family and furniture here and they change the deal. "Oh sorry we are not ready for you, no pay for 3 months" or something like that. Or "Sorry we will pay you S/O wages for 12 months, take it or leave it, oh and if you do not like it you owe us $50,000 training bond" This is the sort of thing they do. They have no morals and are totally dishonest.

I highly recommend you stay in your current job and wait for the upturn in the economy and airline hiring. HKA HKE is way too amateur and they lack common human decency.