PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2009, 08:28
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,602 Likes on 734 Posts
I have a synch problem between my iPhone and MacBook Air. I wonder if any one has any idea where the problem lies?

The problem occurs when I synch and have to update multiple podcasts. If the download is just a few casts, say 5 or 6, it synchs fine. However, if it many more than that then one of 2 things happens:

a. The iPhone vanishes from iTunes in the middle of the synch. The iPhone shows as synch in progress and has to be unplugged. When the iPod is selected it reports the Library is being updated and finally shows the original, before synch, list.

b. iTunes throws up an error window stating that it "cannot read or write to the disk" and stops the update.

The error can be delayed by doing the synch when both iPhone and Air have just been turned on and/or if I do a hard boot of the iPhone prior to the synch.

There has been an error reported when loading updates to iTunes since also upgrading to Snow Leopard, that errors relates to a USB driver file for a plug-in USB phone modem which is a known error.

The problem did not occur with my MacBook Pro at home, only with the Air since I came on holiday. I did, however, upgrade the iPhone to 3.1 shortly before I left home and, due to errors, had to do a full default reload. I also don't download more than the odd 1 or 2 podcasts whilst at home, so would not necessarily have seen the problem if it also exists there.

AS far as I can see it might be a problem with the MacBook, either from a USB hardware or software fault or it might be related to the USB modem driver. It might also, however, be an iPhone software fault from the 3.1 upgrade - but I cannot see anyone else reporting it. Finally, it may be a fault with the iPhone hardware.

The iPhone is covered by the monthly fee including insurance. The MacBook is covered by Apple 3 year cover.

Ideas?