PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2009, 07:28
Pat42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes we all want this job more than anything else, but anyone thinking that they can kid, wing or cheat their way past their selection tests, is simply kidding themselves.
Well said. Particularly poignant when we remember what is actually at stake here (i.e. peoples' lives). Certainly the next time I get on a plane to fly somewhere I'd like to think that the person on the radio making sure I'm safe is there because they have demonstrated that they are suitably skilled and equipped for the job - not just because they really really wanted it.

Like everyone else here, I want this job quite a lot, and I think I have what it takes to be good at it. But at the same time I'm actually quite glad that its not just down to me to assess whether or not I have "what it takes". As someone who flies quite regularly I find it very reassuring that NATS have such a rigourous process for choosing those who are suitable based upon their many many years experience training and employing ATCOs, and if they don't think I'm up to the job then I am actually quite happy to be told that. I'd certainly much rather that than waste several years of my life before failing, or worse: potentially get myself into a situation where I could make a mistake that could cost people their lives.