PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Were you ever on Victors (Merged - various)
Old 28th Sep 2009, 04:56
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilot, 55 from 1987 to 1990.

The aileron uprigging occurred at about the time of the Falklands war. The ailerons were uprigged by about 5 degrees to move the centre of pressure forward which changed the stress path through the wings and the FI could be increased. To compensate, the elevators were downrigged by about 2 degrees. The net result of this was that the aircraft became less stable in pitch. I didn't fly them before the uprigging, but I understand that the change in flying characteristics was quite noticeable.

Another result was that at first, there was less down elevator authority. As the movement was only 8 degrees down in the first place, this was a significant loss which manifested itself when the US excahnge pilot (DP) was doing a post engineering delivery from St Athan. The lightened aircraft (no pods, U/W tanks or HDU) climbed spiritedly up to cruising altitude and then carried on climbing when DP found there wasn't enough elevator to lower the nose! The elevator movement range was increased to 10 degrees soon after that!

(Don't quote me on the figures, the memory is gradually being drunk away!)