PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 19:10
Irene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine told me he saw a picture taken in the cockpit after the crash. Landing gear lever in up position, number 1 engine fuel lever in cut-off and number two fuel lever in idle. Have heard that the right engine may have been on fire during/after take-off.

Despite these observations, even if they are 100% true and indicative of what occured, I reserve all judgement until the investigation is done. Levers could have been bumped by personnel involved in the rescue of the crew.

What does makes sense to me is the state of the number 2 engine - Obvious fire which fire dept. had to douse with foam on the ground (supporting rumours of smoke/fire coming out of the right engine after take-off), props all bent as they still had a turning force applied upon ground impact (observation of fuel condition lever postion supports this).

What doesn't make sense to me is the state of the number 1 engine. Props not bent, indicating they were not turning on ground impact (supported by picture observation of fuel condition lever in cut-off). But why then were the props not in the fully feathered position? Was there a multi-system failure?

Possibly the crew shut-down number 1 on purpose because of severe controlling difficulties after extreme and unanticipated yaw, making the right choice in ditching to avert a bigger disaster? The scenarios are endless in nature. Whatever the scenario, they did a hot job of making the field. Am happy to hear, via the news media, that all seem to be recovering, albeit in various stages of difficulty.