PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 11:21
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look forward (as do we all) to hearing more of Sabena shortly
HEAR, HEAR OR SHOULD i SAY "AMEN TO THAT" ?
REGLE I am sure we are all enjoying th Sabena story so please keep it going, and more from Gordon please. Just wondering, does any one belong to the Aircew Association , if any one does , or has a friend, how about recruiting some other ‘trades’ Navs, Wops Gunners etc ? I ,certainly, would be pleased to hear of their experiences, and respectfully suggest that if they are not computer nerds, then you could do the posting for them.

Thanks for the comments DAN (winter roll) this thread would not have carried on for so long, if it wasn’t for the contributions like yours.

With regards to the Window subject, we also referred to it as Chaf, and remember it measured about 12” x2.5” as previously mentioned. Possibly 3” thick and held together by a brown paper band. Not sure but would imagine the Nav stored it under his chart table, and as he sat just behind me, would pass each bundle to me. I would then tear of the wrapping and drop the whole bundle into the Window chute. I never heard of the strips clogging up air intakes in following aircraft.

My question to Gordon about catapult/Hurricanes on the Russian convoys was prompted by his reference to ship borne aircraft. Seemed to remember some reports about the pilots having to ditch in the sea. Evidently they were dead when picked up from the freezing water. To overcome this problem I think it was decided to launch the rescue boat before the aircraft ditched, but not sure if this was successful .

Back to Hemswell.
I think we were awaiting posting to the Far East, when it was announced that we would be would be flying to Italy on Operation Python Leave . This consisted of flying to Pomigliano near Naples, a day of R & R then return to Glatton near Peterboro with twenty soldiers, who would be on leave for one week, after which we would take off from Hemswell, land at Glatton, collect the twenty soldiers , and return them to Pomigliano.
No parachutes would be carried or worn to give the soldiers confidence?
After this we would have a week off then repeat the operation . The day arrived with every one in high spirits at the thought of sight seeing, Naples, Ruins of Pompeii . Salerno, and Sorrento.. The whole squadron took off heading for TouloN, then set course, passing over Corsica for Naples. We all landed , with aircraft from other squadrons, and were then transported in three tonners to the Hotel Belle Vista at Torre Anunziata. . .Belle Vista , yes, but Hotel ? No internal toilets, walls cracked, and plaster missing, odd windows boarded up, but we didn’t care it was very sunny, clear skies, a good view of Vesuvius, the Bay of Naples, swimming in the Med, and plenty of places to be explored. The Italians explained the toilets didn’t work because we had destroyed all the sewers. Some of the less responsible airmen, however were disappointed ( the black marketeers ) as the only items available were ,wine, cameo broaches, grapes, peaches and oranges. On every street corner were youngsters, calling ‘hey Johnny any pounds’ , but it was decided to use the ‘pounds to purchase the cameos, wine, and fruit, as these were in very short supply or none existent in the U.K. The purchases were hidden in the aircraft, hoping the customs officers wouldn’t find them on arrival at Glatton. However, on arrival at Glatton it was pandemonium , with a heavy bomber landing, or taking off every minute., A frantic customs officer whizzing along on a bike shouting up to an open cockpit window “anything to declare” making a note in a book, then pedalling furiously to the next aircraft before it got away That evening back at Hemswell , in the mess the sole topic of conversation was the setting up an import export business.

Gothard Fox (IQ FOX) GOTHARD ***** was the call sign for Hemswell. 150 Sqd, i.e Gothard Fox Funnels.
A picture of our Lancaster with crew and soldiers, note it is parked on hard sun baked soil, a thing never seen in the U.K as they would immediately ‘bog down’,

I have just noticed on Face book that Puala K. Denson , who wrote the book ‘The R.A.F in Oklahoma’ is at the moment visiting Lincoln. Paula who is a ‘Friend of 6 B.F.T.S ‘ is also a reader of PPrUNE. Welcome to England Paula, and I hope you have a pleasant visit.
--------------------------------------------------------------FACE BOOK---------------------------
Paula K. Denson
Hide
Paula K. Denson Had a great day in Lincoln, England. The walk was invigorating, the castle interesting, and one of the first places where there was Christianity in England! Lots of interesting Roman ruins here too!
Thu at 5:02pm · Comment · Like
-------------------------------------------------------------

For any one who like me , who is 'Dim as a Toc H lamp. He came home by HELL he copt her.