PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Want a LARS? It'll cost you!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2002, 14:40
what cessna?

Can't work something out:

You're all quite happy to fly on a FIS with a FISO service near a busy GA aerodrome where traffic joining and leaving the circuit may not follow any particular 'standard' routes or levels. Or indeed fly over such places without calling the frequency at all, preferring to 'listen out' on the appropriate frequency.

Yet some above expect something for nothing...do you know exactly what you are asking for............totally free?

Although I agree in some areas (high military traffic levels etc) a radar service is a good idea as it benefits you and the rest of the area trying to get on with a set programme of tasks, there is still an small minority of pilots who seem not to know how to act responsibly.
I have had countless people request a service on lto turn down the volume in the headset because of all the noise generated by the chatter of traffic information being passed - result?
When I eventually get your attention the service is terminated and bye bye to the FIR FISO you go!

Remember that some ATC units have ONE PERSON doing the approach radar frequency. That means in civil terms one person is responsible for LARS, vectoring aircraft to final approach, co-ordinating with other ATC units by telephone and intercom. It also means that he/she can be dealing with considerable number of aircraft on one frequency at one time.

One departure to join airways can take two or more phone call before an aircraft is released. These calls are done by the bod you're asking to provide LARS.
If the controller feels that their function is being compromised they can limit the service or refuse it altogether.

The biggest problem here is - if you are paying a fee for your LARS and you get refused or get poor service - will you get a refund?

Nope

We all try to help everyone - but nothing in this world comes for free!