PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's happening with AIPA's Qantas Sale Act case?
Old 27th Sep 2009, 08:03
WoodenEye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the Applicant for this case, I have followed this thread with interest.

Whilst I am not in a position to ‘spill the beans’ publically, to assist public understanding, I am comfortable with the following clarifications:

· I was instructed to discontinue the matter in a letter from the union president,
· The proceeding did give the union and all its pilot members leverage against declining job security and career progress,
· Union governance pertaining to the instruction to me to discontinue, is, in my opinion seriously deficient, but what flows from the deficiency is a matter for the union committee and/or its members to address,
· Prima facie, Qantas’ view that Jetstar is but a subsidiary of Qantas and not subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Sale Act stands, and
· Jetstar can hire pilots and cabin crew from anywhere it wants and can get all its maintenance done offshore.

Ultimately Australian international aviation must change and my personal preference, as evidenced by my support for LHEBA 8 and this case, is for organisational and workplace change that protects jobs, shares prosperity and keeps Qantas globally competitive.

With the demise of the LHEBA8 Offer and the Discontinuance of this Case, my fear is that too few people have the courage to confront the necessary change and too many of tomorrow’s Pilots, Cabin Crew and Engineers will not be persons who call Australia home.

Nevertheless, it isn’t over yet; the GFC and Qantas’ need to fund $19 Billion’s worth of new aircraft may yet give ‘sanity’ another chance.

The Australian Employee Buyout Centre (AeBc) is coming.