PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Airlink J41 crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 06:20
jumbo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly and most importantly wishes to the crew for a speedy recovery.

Whatever the reason for the engine problems they didn't have much time to do much about it and in my opinion did a great job averting disaster.

Having been an ex ALPA member and involved in the CIRP programme now assisting all involved in this accident, I can only mention how important it is that all available assistance is given to these crews and their families. It is totally irrelevant which union they belong to - it's not about the unions, it's about assisting fellow aviators in distress. It is vital that they are protected not only from the media, who we all know love to sensationalize things and will happily quote out of context, but also any other interested parties who may wish to apportion blame away from themselves. The accident investigation will determine what actually happened, not fellow aviators, media, armchair critics, airline management etc.
Cirp will provide our colleagues with the legal guidelines they need as well as counselling for them and their families which is absolutely vital for all concerned. A little statistic - in the US more than 80% of pilots involved in accident/serious incidents who did NOT get counselling ended up losing their jobs. Post traumatic stress is serious! Just remember one thing - next time it could be you involved. Believe me you will then be grateful for all the support you can get.
I have personally been involved with 2 incidents where pilots and their families have received CIRP support and have seen first hand the benefit of it.
Good luck to the crew. My best wishes to you all and to everyone assisting them, ALPA, fellow colleagues and friends - thank you for standing by your colleagues in a time of need. It's what makes this profession worthwhile.
Rgds
Jumbo