PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett gone .......but ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 01:09
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
The A310 taxiied in and within 20 seconds sank to the axles in the overheated tarmac.

I'd not heard the anecdote previously. However, quite apart from the sad "them and us" attitude, it does indicate that both Compass' ops engineering and the airport engineering approvals side of the coin got their work up due diligence grossly wrong.

We copped it a bit at DPO and WNY when East West first started down here, but if the AN battery cart failed we were on hand with ours to get their flight away.

All a bit long ago now for me to remember dates etc. but we very likely said g'day at some stage on the north coast .. Indeed, I always had a fond thought for EWA as it was my first target for airlines .. missed out on EW and ended up having to settle for AN.

That was the days of real Airlines, with a culture and passenger care.

And that applied to all the carriers of the day.

It all went pear shaped when the fat prick and the silver bodgie decided they knew better.

d'accorde !

You mean back in the pre dereg days when we had a 2 airline policy ensuring no competition at all. But very expensive airfares.

Your comment probably indicates that you are much younger than either East West Loco or I. Indeed, competition was somewhat artificial and the fares higher .. but, for those who did travel by air, the product was far "better" than what one sees today.

Horses for courses, I guess.