PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amerijet Strike!
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 00:25
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been holding off commenting on this subject until it was resolved.And thankfully at least some good results appear to have come out of the struggle.

However we in the rest of the world are getting very tired of US pilots carrying on about scabs when they have industrial problems and then charging in in similar situations when they have an opportunity for themselves.Reading through these posts the US attitude seems to be to ignore the comments and explanations on what is known in Australia as secondary boycotts.That is a situation where company A is on strike and company B is contracted to do company A's work. Here at least and apparently in Canada, a secondary boycott is illegal and company B's employees and their union have no choice. Secondly just because something is legal or illegal in the US has no bearing on citizens of other countries and that includes blacklists

Next ,some US pilots don't practice what you preach. Right now in Australia, Australian pilots jobs are at risk because an Australian major has wet leased a US based B767 freighter which has displaced an Australian aircraft.Why are you here US pilots? Your here because you and your company can make money and you don't give a damn about your actions on our pilots.Or maybe just like the Canadians you don't have a choice.Or maybe you do have a choice and you are here because its a pretty cruisy gig.

And as has been mentioned earlier on this thread what about 1989.Not only did US Airlines and pilots flock to this country to strikebreak. You then got residency and tried to tell us how to run our country, because that episode wasn't just a strike it was a political battle on wage setting. A few of you were very noisy politically, even heading up your own new pilots union.

Finally I'm very glad that the situation was resolved to some satisfaction of the Amerijet pilots.But be carefull who you accuse of being scabs.In my experience the largest source of pilots who will turn up on your doorstep at the first whiff of a strike or a contract that will undercut hard fought conditions comes from the good old USA.

Regards

Wunwing