PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightest most effective headset for microlighting
Old 26th Sep 2009, 09:56
znww5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's really only one way to be sure a headset will suit you - and that's to go to a decent aviation shop and spend some considerable time trying out the various types.

Due to different head shapes and sizes, I don't think there is such a thing as a one-size-fits-all headset and it can be an expensive mistake to buy the wrong one! For example, whilst other people thought they were great, I always found DC headsets to have an uncomfortably high clamping pressure and the metal headband always used to make contact with the 'corners' of my skull. I visited the Oxford shop and found the best bet (for me) was a pair of Sennheisers, but they may not suit other people. This really is a try-before-you-buy item.

As for ANR vs PNR, quite a few of the manufacturers use the same basic shells for both versions, so once you've found a comfortable headset you can then decide about the noise reduction technology. In fact you can retrofit ANR to some DC, DC clone and Peltor headsets, you can either do this yourself or there is a guy here in the UK who will do it for you and has a good reputation - cost is around the £140 mark from memory.

Finally, if you are going to be flying microlights, its worth checking that the aircraft is fitted with the standard two plug connections - some use other systems.