PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 21:27
tinpis
Silly Old Git

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A tale of 207 trip that probably bilong in here
P2-SEP no doubt.

I personally chartered a Sepik Airways Cessna 207 to deliver me back from Ambunti to Oksapmin. The further we went the thicker and higher the cloud bank became, eventually running out of corridors within it and hence we were flying blind at 12,500 ft plus.

At that altitude a fully loaded 207 was barely controllable; rolling alternately through 180 degrees as the (I suspect low hour) pilot struggled to maintain equilibrium. At one period during this process we both smelt a very strong acrid smoke similar to an electrical short. This had me upside down in my seat with my head under the dash panel searching for the source of the ‘fire’. None was found and after 10 minutes the odour vanished.

All this time Wewak radio was hounding the pilot for a Sitcom, stating we were beyond our flight plan ETA. So what does this goose do, but report he has Oksapmin on visual and a few minutes later cancels the SAR watch and reports we are on the ground Oksapmin.

By now my nerves were extended but decided I needed to remain calm to give this novice arsehole some confidence. Eventually he admitted to me he had no idea where we were and suggested we head north until we broke out of the cloud. I agreed and congratulated him on a brilliant tactical plan. His spirits rose and so we headed off, still wallowing at this thin air altitude. Part of his plan was then to advise Wewak that we were set to depart Oksapmin and lodged his particulars. It was obvious to me Wewak radio was on edge and suspected some tom foolery, but he kept up the pretence.

Eventually after 1 and a half hours off this flying blind we broke out of cloud over the coast just to the east of Aitape, about 90 miles west of Wewak and again now at the limit of the flights time plan. So how do you now fudge up an excuse to Wewak that arrival will be delayed 45minutes? I don’t know what he told them when we arrived; I was out of there booking with Aerial Tours and paying full fare.

Moral of the story: Don’t fly with an airline that has a “no arrival no charge” policy.

From Exkiap.com