PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No. 5 B.F.T.S Clewiston FL USA
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 16:21
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Course 11

Hi Liz

Thanks for your post and your PM which I only opened today.
I am sorry to say that I cannot help you with my father's photos as they are not of course 11! Let me explain. As you know from the course 11 photo on the University of Florida site my dad can clearly be seen on the front row. That picture is the only link to course 11 that exists, because, within a day or two of that arrival picture my dad was in sick bay (we don't know with what) but he must have been quite ill, as we know that he was sent off-base later to recuperate. As a result he never rejoined course 11 but he (and I believe two other cadets) were put onto course 12 and he gained his wings with them on 25/05/1943. I have now had the privilege of speaking to Mr Eddie Habberley who was also on course 12 and he was able to tell me a little about my dad which wonderful for me. This came about as a result of the great help that I have received from the 5BFTS archive run by Gordon Newsham.

I am sorry to hear of Mr Baker's death on his first op. - such a tragic waste - but at least now as a result of your research you know where he lies.

Sorry that I have nothing more on course 11 for you.
Best Wishes
Ian Burgess-Barber