PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankruptcy - Does it affect employment?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 13:24
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HN,

It never occured to me that I was "scaremongering", quite the opposite in fact. I thought you were supporting the moderators contention that bankruptcy was a happy, inconsequential tool to be employed in the pursuit of your pilots licence or anything else. If you want a source for that list of consequences I will find it again, but type bankruptcy and consequences into your search engine and you will find no end of returns listing them. Surely you already did this sometime ago if you are embarking on the process?

Bankruptcy is a legal process, rather like divorce is a legal process. Nobody sets out with the intention of having to embark on it, but many people find themselves in need of a process, that for them may be the lesser of two evils. I don't find any "stigma" attached to people who find themselves in difficulty and need to utilize either of these processes to remedy their personal situation. Further it is a situation that any of us could find ourselves in, given the wrong mix of circumstances. For some people it is a way to be able move forward when everything else has failed, and that is the point of its existence.

I could list the advantages of utilizing this process if a person finds themselves in this position, but you and others have already done that. What you haven't done is give a balanced view. Obviously you are involved in the process at an early stage and perhaps that weights your viewpoint, but that shouldn't prevent you and others from looking at the downsides of the process as well, without suggesting that being asked to, amounts to "scaremongering."

Bankruptcy is really one of the choices of last resort. It is a process that is embarked on when all others have failed. It is not something that anybody should be promoting as a planning tool for potential pilots (or anybody else,) or suggesting that others will have a commercial advantage if they utilize it and you don't. That is just nonsense.

On to your second point, I (and many others) regularly reply to questions, that the industry is on its knees. I regularly point out that research, maturity, common sense, planning, and a healthy does of scepticism are all attributes or methods that anybody embarking on this as a potential career should posses in spades. FTO's are in the business of selling you something you want to buy. Car dealers do the same, so do plastic surgeons. Do they lie? I am sure some probably do, but the advantage they have is that they are selling to customers who already have a deep desire for the product. The reality of ownership may turn out to be far removed from the dream in some or all of those cases, but that is not the sellers problem. Likewise with banks selling money to customers. They do so to satisfy the desires of those customers. It is a flimsy rationale to then suggest your greed or ineptitude is down to them. Rather like saying I stole something because the temptation was too much, or it shouldn't have been on display. I can lie, deceive and cheat, because I justify that others in my perception lie deceive and cheat. I am not in the wrong because I can delude and justify.

That is far removed from any suggestion that people who find themselves in difficulty fall into this category, but it does seem common for one or two in this thread (yourself included) to find the need to do it.

Bankruptcy isn't an offence, just as divorce isn't an offence. It is an end process that is used when everthing else has broken down. As well as being an end process, it should provide a starting point for re-building your life in either respect. It is however disingenuous to promote it as an inconsequential method of advancement. Anybody embarking on bankruptcy should do so only after taking independent and properly qualified advice. That is particularly so on a forum aimed at advising young people with an ambition.

What I say on any of these threads, is what I would (and do) say to my own children. To that end the advice is honest and the best that I can provide. It may not always (or often) be what people want to hear, but it is well intentioned and honest. It strikes me that some who should excercise a better degree of responsibilty and care, are too busy banning or belittling others, and busy promoting their own lives and agendas, to provide the balanced view that they often fail to actually provide.

Bless!

Last edited by Bealzebub; 25th Sep 2009 at 15:38.