PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - coriolis and pilot correction
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 08:25
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes - I'm stunned too

Flex - NB I did include "your motion around an object" but the point I was trying to make was, as JT said, that the Coriolis effect, for controllable objects (unlike Big Bertha - she was wild) is effectively lost in all the other 'tweaks' we automatically make every second or so. EG did you realise that as you fly around the globe at, say, 450kts you need to keep adjusting your pitch nose down by 0.125 degrees a minute? I guess not. Heading north from the equator there will initially be a similar correction required in roll - all due to our 'motion' being relative to a space frame, but conducted in an earth-frame. All of this, of course, taken care of by our attitude reference systems (be they Mk I eyeballs, gyro Art Horizons, IRS or a black cat sitting on the coaming with its tail hanging over the panel) which are artificially 'tied' to the earth frame and we just do not see it. The ISS and Shuttle do not care much for all of this and generally maintain their 'space' attitude. Now convince me we will 'notice' the Coriolis effect!

Incidentally, it is the other gyro 'property' - 'rigidity' - not 'precession' that we are talking about. If I may summarise - Coriolis effect is there. It does affect our motion around the earth. It is just not really relevant for normal flights. None of the above applies to artillery shells, wind or black balls on blue turntables.

If you want to 'blow your brains' further, the Wiki reference is comprehensive and good, and will tell you that due to the Eötvös effect you can get away with eating more crew food when east-bound than west-bound.

Typo edits

Last edited by BOAC; 25th Sep 2009 at 10:52.