PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Severe Turbulence
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 00:35
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1: Why are some pilots so disbelieving in the idea of severe turbulence? It does NOT mean that the aircraft is totally out of control.
What do you mean "disbelieving?" Not believing, as in pilots don't believe severe turbulence exists, or simply not believing in reporting it as severe?

Severe turbulence is defined as "turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and/or attitude. It usually causes large variations in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be momentarily out of control.". What's not to believe in?

Question 2: What have been some of the PPruner's experience with severe?
I've spent a significant percentage of my flying career operating close to the ground within 6 to 200'), usually in mountainous terrain, and nearly always in stiff winds...most often accompanied by severe turbulence, or greater. Much of that time it's been in aircraft in which a helmet is worn to protect one's skull from impact with the aircraft canopy in that turbulence. The worst turbulence I can recall was encountered in 50+ knot winds on the lee side of a mountain outside Albuquerque, in the US. Turbulence was severe enough that we couldn't see the instrument panel clearly and it was violent, and painful. I would characterize it between severe and extreme. The flight engineer in the sister ship behind us was ejected and wound up in the cargo bay after bouncing off the flight deck ceiling twice. I shared a room with him that night, and he looked like he'd been beaten by a gang.