PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outport Security JNB
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 00:06
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Personal security at high risk ports.

Something I do every time I go to Joburg and with some other ports as well and what I use to do all the time in PNG:

1. I have a separate wallet for going out. Currently it is my old wallet but in PNG I use to have one of those cheap surfers Velcro ones.
2. I always keep just enough cash in the wallet to keep the thieves happy.
3. Don’t have anything else of value in it especially credit cards, drivers licences, ID cards etc. Basically the things that are a pain in the a**e to replace.
4. Make sure all the data on your mobile phone is backed up onto your computer at home. Consider taking your old mobile to places like Joburg if the theft of your main one would cause significant financial stress if stolen.
5. I always leave my wedding ring in my hotel safe. In PNG I also had a cheap watch I wore out but don’t bother doing that in Joburg.
6. Finally all my valuables in my hotel room I lock in the safe. Again things that would be a pain in the a**e if stolen like my crew ID, licences, passports, main wallet etc.

Remember if you do get held up, it is vitally important you don’t put up any resistance. Do as you are told and in most cases you will be unharmed.