PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2009, 13:31
Tallsar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again Crab - fancy some more SAR-H ping pong? Of course you do! ;-). I muse as to whether anyone else is bothering to read this - so be it....

You raise some valid points as usual....I am not going to try and dispute with you on the merits of PFIs - fundamentally as an individual I full agree with you that it should not have been the way forward for SAR-H - but there it is and here we are. Can it be stopped - of course it could be ...but where's the early cash coming from and gven all the other priorites the new Government will have - I doubt any change will be worth the furore -- but stranger things can happen....eg both bidders withdraw?

As for your more detailed points - I think we talk in slightly parallel universes as far as the scrutiny by the SMEs is concerned. Be in no doubt that at least one of the bidders (and no doubt both) has spent a great deal of time attempting to meet the requreiments honestly and as best it can be done given that major changes to what is available "off the shelf", at best add very signifcant cost deltas to a bid ( maybe what the customer may not be prepared to pay for), or are simply just not available even if affordable, within the delivery constraints required (which are very tight!!). Priorites have to be decidied - and I would suggest both the customer and the bidders have been vexxing themselves on the priority issues in this regard such as on the precise radar spec. I would ask you try and accept that there is no hoodwinking going on but only the natural process that requires all sides in the dialogues to really understand where we are all going with this programme. Like it or not also, there are many differences in intepretation between professionals from different backgrounds - even dare I say it, if they have served in RAF SAR....I return to the radar performance issue as a case in point. And thats before you consider what is in the practical art of the possible as far as airworthiness and clearance to operate matters are concerned for any change in capabaility.

Your point about other PFIs failing is indeed a major issue of concern as I alluded to also over Metronet and I will only say that the IPT made it clear from the outset to all bidders that financial stability was the most signifcant priority to underpin any successful bid. Everyone I believe has learned from experience as far as other failed PFIs are concerned - and lets face it for many a large PFI of this sort (as opposed to the sort that merely invovles bricks and mortar or more simple service provison) is still in newish territory. Extraordinary scrutiny is being done to minimise the risk of similar failures in SAR-H and emulate the successes (such as MSHATF & HMS Clyde) - though no process can be offer a 100% guarantee - but then even if it was a fully government run programme the financial risks direct to the treasury can still be immense if things go wrong - and then it would be the MoD budget that would carry the can! It takes an attitude of faith and trust in the process -- something I can understand many in HM Forces in general have little of these days as far as new procurements of any sort or style are concerned - so fighting that scepticism and cynicism is almost impossible (particualry as I share some of it too!!)

I repeat - we are where we are ....if the PFI continues then its not long before the new UK SAR helo force will be emerging from its crysalis -- and I wish all those directly involved and affected good luck and a fair wind -- they are going to need it!

Cheers

Last edited by Tallsar; 24th Sep 2009 at 13:45.