PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Candidates for ETOPS in North America-Asian Route
Old 24th Sep 2009, 00:11
Maple Leafs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some countries have their own limits i.e. 180 minutes, 207 minutes and possible approval for 240 minutes flying time from a suitable alternate.
ETOPS (Engines Turning Or People Swimming) takes on a whole new meaning.

I will include a website with some downloadable maps for you pursual and if you have a problem over the north pole, head south and pick a country.

Aviation Route Maps - Maps

Depending on your aircraft type, some of these airports are emergency only and cannot be used as an en-route alternates for planning purposes but if you have a problem and need some asphalt, it is certainly there to use. An example that it may not be suitable is the fire services at the airport.

As for getting there in the time allotted is based on the aircraft speed of Mmo/Vmo (redline) in still air but I would find it hard to believe a Captain will put that much power on his only engine unless terrain is a factor. Most will select a somewhat lower altitude and throttle back and nurse that puppy to the nearest suitable airport.

Hope it helps.

Go Leafs; they’re on a winning streak now.