PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 20:49
Jochi85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrotchidson

1.) Where's the best place to arrange a tower visit and has anyone done it recently where they can give me any contact numbers etc. (this is one thing I didn't do on my first time around)
Scrotchidson,

You will probably struggle to arrange any kind of visit until you have passed S2 as other wise NATS just get far too many requests and don't have the time to organise tours etc. That said it is always worth a try...

I visited Swanwick after completing S2 and found it extremely worth while. Not only does it look good in S3 by demonstrating willingness it also helped me with a couple of the interview questions, i.e. 'Describe to me what you think the day in the life of an ATCO involves?'. I knew that precisely as I had taken a tour! It also gives you a great opportunity to have a good look round somewhere where you may end up spending 30 odd years of your life!!! They don't always allow but when I toured Swanwick we were lucky enough to plug into the London TC to watch and listen for half hour, plus chat to the ATCO who was operating. There is no better way to learn about the job...

After passing S3 I also took a tour up the Heathrow tower. This was absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it. Think I was plugged in for about 2 hours up there!

If you would like the details of who to contact to arrange a tour PM me, but as I said I doubt you will get any luck until after S2.

2.) Can anyone give any information about what's life is like as a student at the college and their job as a ATC where its area or aerodrome, pros and cons (had information before but new opinions and experiences are very useful)
Haven't started yet mate sorry!

Good luck to all applicants