PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight test of the Jetpod
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 19:50
DingerX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, thank you Mr. Macklin and Mostafa for keeping this thread alive.

Secondly, I understand that I posted a lot of information, but if you look at the YouTube "teaser" from last year, with the child visiting the hangar shot from last year, and where they'd covered the unfinished engines/cockpit, you'll indeed see that the design they were working on was apparently more of a straight-wing configuration, with the landing gear directly under the wing (and possibly on something that worked as a smaller, second airfoil).

Third, Macklin is right. I am an armchair investigator. I heard a story about "another flying car nutcase" and went to investigate, using the means at my disposal to gather information in a matter of hours. What I found, and what I tried to communicate, was that the "Jetpod vision" was in engineering terms pragmatic -- I mean, unlike the "flying car" crowd, Dacre had something that would fly, and would at least come close to his goals -- and in social, political and economic terms challenging, if not outrageous -- change the world to match the vision, and do so on a startup budget. In other words, this isn't what it's being portrayed as: a nutcase doing something stupid. There's a vision, coherent, if apparently unworkable; there's a plan; and there's risks that had to be taken, the biggest one of which was that the whole thing would somehow work.

Call it Disney if you like. The Greeks had Icarus. Some of us have Werner Herzog. I never met the guy, and am worse off for it. I look at the record I can find and wish I were in a situation to find out truly what his story was. In my experience, the greatest people I've met have been tragic characters.

But all of that is beside the point. At this point, we know very little about what happened (unless someone deigns to reveal their personal knowledge), and we're not likely to learn anything.