PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Civilian Instructors
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 16:56
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure most squadrons(note they're not schools any more) will welcome you with open arms.

However be prepared to learn a different system of teaching!

When I was a lowly C-Cat, the system was very much about numbers through the machine, to the extent that soaring was discouraged- I was banished to the winch on several occasions for staying up too long

I gather things have improved somewhat, but the teaching is very different to a civvy club. It does however cover very thoroughly everything a cadet needs to know to get round a circuit without dinging anything!

Understandably there is a very military slant to the paperwork etc and I suspect there will be background checks to be carried out, bearing in mind you'll be dealing with kids..they even allow girls in now

But there are good schools and not so good ones...It depends on the CO and the staff. I can recommend one of the VGSs at Hullavington, but I suspect that's a bit far for you to travel.

I look back on my time as a cadet and a CI on a VGS as some of the best times in my life, so can only commend it

Andy