PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Riding on Risk - Fifth Estate to air Sept. 25th
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 15:33
grizzled

Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
+TSRA

I did not say that SMS is a bad idea. Coincidentally, I am presently engaged in producing an SMS for a medium sized (Canadian based) operator -- then introducing it and training to it.

As with the previous poster I'm an "old fart" (slightly more than 38 years in the aviation business). Most of that time was in operational positions, some in management and some in instructing. And guess what -- 25 years of that was with Transport Canada.

Of course SMS (as a philosophy and a template for mitigating risk) can be effective. But one of the lessons learned -- in aviation, in banking, in marine safety, in correctional services, in hospital services, and on and on -- is that even the most well-intended and well-aimed regulations are worse than useless without a well-funded, strongly mandated, diligent independent regulator. I say "worse than useless" because the resulting misplaced sense of safety, and confidence in the system, has historically led people, companies, and even whole countries into disaster.

Let me make the point simply and clearly: A philosophy of "SMS will increase safety levels" when combined with an under-resourced regulator, and a weak statutory mandate for that regulator, WILL result in a degradation of safety levels.

I too am happy to engage further in this discussion for anyone who wishes to start a new thread under safety. Or feel free to PM.

grizz