PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic Cadetship / Sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 15:01
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the reason they aren't exactly inundated with applications.
After six months of seven-day-a-week cadet duties, e.g. driving pilots around, sweeping the hangar floor and working on aircraft, I was given new ATPL ground school books (I had to start all over again as I’d not managed to take any previous exams) and two days off mid-week as study days. The rest of the week was taken up with normal cadet duties. At one point I also worked in ‘Operations’ while the company were short-staffed, more evidence of the value of cadets, and more valuable involvement for me, experiencing additional ‘ins and outs’ of the airline.
The 'Fuglys' as they call themselves earn their ratings. That is not what many people who see themselves as potential airline pilots want to experience. No, they're more interested in the supposed prestige to be gained from flying jets and wearing big watches. Sweeping the hangar? Good lord, that's beneath their dignity. Another flaw for the shiny jet brigade is the turboprops and probably the fact of them being based in Coventry. But it's better that way as Bealzebub's testimonial shows. Leave it to the young guys who want to fly and are prepared to really work for it.

If it was around when I was training, I would most certainly have applied. I would no more have got in than be selected for the Red Arrows but I would have loved it, even if it was in Coventry.