PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the Tories Axe the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 13:18
Jackonicko

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
"I guess that even suggesting such a thing just makes me a knuckle-dragging xenophobic lout."
No, it doesn't.

Having concerns about immigration, the integration of certain communities, etc. does not brand one as being anything. Nor does questioning the present level of immigration, nor does questioning whether there should or should not be limits on immigration.

I'm often portrayed as some kind of bleeding heart liberal or Nu Labour apologist (though I'm a wet, One Nation Tory to my core, I'm afraid) and even I would question the open door now offered to immigrants from the EEC, while I have real doubts as to the wisdom of encouraging multi-culturalism as opposed to a multi-ethnic British identity. (I don't care about people's country of origin, in other words, only their intended country of destination. If that's our Britain, fine, but if they want that Britain to adapt to them - separate education for their kids, green flags over Downing Street, etc. not fine at all).

What brands someone as being a "knuckle dragging racist, xenophobe and demi-fascist" is to blame immigrants and immigration for all of the UK's present ills, to object to immigration across the board, on principal, and to repeat the BNP's lurid and exaggerated claims of its impact, and to do so using the kind of language that one poster here did.

There's a world of difference between Jabba and jordanpolonijo, in other words.

Crucially the real and growing problems of alienation and welfare dependancy may have some overlap with the issue of immigration, the two things should not be confused or equated.

The fact that a mass of ignorant, stupid and ill-educated people share the BNP's concerns means that the issue needs to be addressed - but that surely does not mean that their petty prejudices should be pandered to?