PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 12:00
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi, Reg, nice to hear from you, and a question (or two): Many of the Heavy Bomber raids were assisted by Mosquitos dropping Window to give the impression of the Main Force stream heading to another target to distract fighters away from the intended target.

I always thought that the Mossie cockpit was a snug fit, so do you know how they managed to drop their bundles of Window at the required set intervals? I visualise the bundles as being a bit bulky so moving around without "irritating" the pilot must have been extremely difficult. Was it possible just to toss them out of the window (no pun intended) rather than feed them down a flare chute?

There must also have been occasions when following bombers trying to shake off fighters or flak flew through the window strips. Can you recall any such incidents, as I assume they wouldn't cause intakes to clog, just catch on any protusions. I'm just wondering if in that case the radar signal would be enhanced, giving night fighters a better signal to home in on.

I also see your old girlfriend Vera made it into the charts, pity she's not getting royalties as it's so long out of copyright!!

Look forward (as do we all) to hearing more of Sabena shortly, too
All the best, chin up lad!!