PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oversize passengers - neighbours rights?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 10:37
Final 3 Greens

lowcostdolly

I would be really interested in how you would approach this dilemma.

The flight is fully sold (let's assume no staff or others qualifying for a jumpseat are travelling.)

One of the pax is so large that s/he is spilling over the armrest and encroaching into the next seat.

The pax for that seast is very slim, but nonetheless cannot get into the seat without being in physical contact with the large person and really does not wish to endure this.

What do you do? You are damned if you do and damned if you don't - either party will be outraged if you offload them.

Let me say that I am not setting you up here, I am genuinely interested in how you would handle this unlikely, but not impossible situation.

I have witnessed a similar event on a flight last year, but there was a spare seat or two, so the crew shuffled pax arond and it was okay - though the #1 (whom I know) told me he got some grief from the person who had to be moved.

If travelling low cost, this is one of the reasons I often buy an extra seat, I know I'll have lateral space even if the pitch is 'snug.' If I were on a flight where such an incident occured, I'd be okay with having the larger person next to me, as the middle seat would take the strain, but I would want to take the aisle seat, for obvious reasons.

PS: I deduce you work for easyJet. Just my tuppence, but I've had nothing but good experiences over the past 7-8 years and have a high regard for the professionalism of the CC on your carrier.