PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oversize passengers - neighbours rights?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 09:20
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MidMarMile I think you have hit the nail on the head actually I, and certainly the the Captain, has much more important things to deal with on boarding a departing flight than issues that could certainly be avoided if all airlines had a policy on this. It's just easier for them to avoid the PC brigade publically and then sweep up privately if need be.

I know that ryanair muted introducing a policy to this effect but they do a lot of things aimed at sparking a reaction and they did get just that on this forum along the lines of !!! Now we appear to have a complete u turn on here. Anyone know if FR actually did go ahead?

Bealzebub has explained the likely reaction you would get from the PIC if they were called to deal with this situation and the last response was priceless

As an SCCM calling the PIC would be last resort for me. I would try and resolve the "problem" within the resources I have available. That is time and available seating. Upgrades would not be granted to anyone because I do not have that option. We have one class of seat. It's called a passenger seat and is "equal" class in terms of space.

We do indeed have legroom seats at the emergency exits and you can purchase a chance to occupy these under the speedy boarding process for a very modest fee. Furthermore if for any reason speedy boarding is not implemented properly by the agents downroute you can claim a refund. Occupy one of these seats and you are guarenteed not to be sitting next to obese pax. It is our policy that no extention belts are allowed at the emergency exits. Don't want to pay for this then you take your chances on who sits next to you. It's a free seating cabin.

That said I'm not oblivious to the discomfort this situation can cause as I too am SLF at times. Talk to me or any of my crew discreetly and we will do our level best with the resources we have available. Behave like a prima donna causing embarresment to anyone/have a hissey fit on or after doors closing and you will be seen as the problem which niether I or I suspect the PIC will want to take to 37,000 feet.

Also peeps just to clarify further when you get on board you will see 2 signs illuminated......no smoking and fasten seatbelts. These are reasonable instructions from the Captain and fall under the air navigation orders. If we are refuelling the seatbelt sign will not be on but you will be told this if you listen to the PA's. That is the time to flag up discreetly if you feel you can/may not be able to comply with this whether or not you fly loco or on a flag carrier plane with a first class/buisness cabin.