PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airspeed/D.H. Ambassador.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2009, 00:50
avionic type

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah the Lizzie!! my first job at B.E.A. was on the modification and repair gang at Heathrow in march 1954 modifing the Lizzie's Aviation fuelled anti icing system [where was "elf and safetythen] which was to say the least tempremental . .
As an airplane it was beautifly built [the riviting was superb until you got to the tail plane] and then it fell well short of the rest I dont Know if DH/Airspeed ran out of money but the skinning was to put it bluntly very crude
It was lovely to fly in and could take off on 1 engine its crashes were due to 1 engine going into reverse pitch on approach, and of course the other slush and ice ruining all its lift on takeoff, ZO the reverse prop a/c though heavily damaged was brought back to Heathrow and repaired the 3 rd one was the B.K.S which broke a flap rod and crashed into the nearly built Terminal 1. Like all a/c of the period it was hard to work on as the access to alot of the systems left a lot to be desired but it kept me in work for just over a year until I moved onto other a/c in B.E.As fleet