PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down near Andover
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 21:05
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is ridiculous. In post 72, Paul identifies his friend and the aircraft that perished. Was there any recognition of that? Was there hell.

The thread had become so obsessed with a bunch of armchair flyers all giving their little bit about how to perform during an EFATO that the topic of the thread, once again, got forgotten.

Listen up. Unless you have had a genuine EFATO at <500 feet (assuming that's what happended to the poor chaps) please don't start giving all the ****e about what to do under the circumstances. The theory is bolleaux and I get fed up hearing about it.

An EFATO at relatively low level just does not give you the chance to think any more than "what is softer to hit". Lucky people will see an open field ahead and bully for them.

The stationary prop that one encounters is like having a plank bolted to your cowling and your glide peformance will compare to an aerodynamic anvil. All you can hear is the wind on the airframe and the control cables running past the pulleys.

Please don't give all the cr@p about "stick forward". Yes, in theory it is correct but when it happens you need to fly the machine into the situation that will give you the least personal injury.

Mine resulted in a smashed up a/c and a neck brace for two weeks. One I saw last week resulted in a smashed up a/c and a brave chap who is limping a bit but not giving in to the situation. For God's sake move away from Trevor Thom and get real. When it happens you need the VERY best of luck and a very cool head, not the theoritical idealism of "stick forward".