PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down near Andover
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 21:04
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having suffered an engine failure at 750ft and ended up standing in a field 1.5miles and 60 seconds later, I know how little time this pilot had and how he was feeling. Mine was not a takeoff engine failure but approach, so I did not need to push, just set up best glide plus ten then look for a field. Running through my head was. Don't stall it on approach, better to run into the far fence than try and slow it down to much and stall in. Remember you can walk away from a 9g stop, that is 9ft from 60mph. As it was, we ended up crossing my first choice field at 5 ft with a fence line coming towards me at 85 mph. I pulled hard just before it and landed in the next and rolled 165 yards in a nice just seeded grass field. This pilot was a lot lower with much less time by the sound of it. Unless you have a pre-plan of what to do, there is no thinking time, it should be instinctive so I hope we can all learn from this, sit down and think, what would we do in such a situation. Several years later I lost a friend to a EFATO, he attempted a low level turn back, stalled in from 100 feet at the end off the turn.