PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 14:30
tallinnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rinty

The house was bought off plan back in 1966 by my parents - cost £750 from memory - mind you I wish the mortgage was still £750!

The noisiest aircraft then was either the 125-400 or Canberra however I watched them with pleasure through my bedroom window.

Nor is the issue about the airport being there, I use it regularly, work in the aviation business and think it is a great asset to Belfast despite the ridiculous queues and hassles of late.

It is about what type of traffic the airport should be attracting or be allowed to attract, given its noise sensitive location for many residents.

When scheduled services commenced or restarted in the 80's many were operated by 360's built in Belfast and it was welcomed by most local people I knew – some in our street got jobs there myself included.

However 25-30 years later I have sympathy for all residents impacted by the increasing noise irrespective of how long their tenure or how trendy their abode is.

Lives, people's property and environment are being severely impacted by the noxious footprint of 'low cost' carriers and for whose benefit?

Can anybody give a rational reason for the proposed expansion or why this traffic is suited to BHD rather than BFS?

I appreciate that local airfares are overpriced and competition is incredibly welcome but again I'm sorry BHD is not the place for this traffic.

If there are noise issues for residents in Templepatrick (5 miles out) and Crumlin (1 mile out – is that runway used?) then I feel they should be addressed to their satisfaction.

Nobody should have to endure the discomfort now being felt in the communities close to BHD.

Finally if you have ever stood and watched people repacking their suitcases and hand luggage, in some cases ending up wearing most of the contents to make the limit/restriction of the day then yes it is another 20 minutes at baggage drop. Not sure this happens in legitimate City Centre airports such as Bromma or London City.