PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the Tories Axe the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 13:56
althenick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and because the core function of the RAF is air power. The RAF understands air (even when that 'air' is being used to support 'land') and prioritises it.
They may understand AIR in their own environment Jacko but I dare say a few on this forum could argue that.

(a) The RAF do not understand airpower in the battlefield environment. Look at the Dutch, Their Apaches are Airforce owned but Aircrews come from the Army.

(b) They certainly dont understand Airpower in the Maritime environment, if they did they wouldn't keep trying to get the carriers cancelled.

We could save an awful lot of money by:

a. Having flt lts command flights.
b. Having sqn ldrs command squadrons.
c. Having wg cdrs commands wings (stations).
d. Having gp capts command groups.
e. Having air cdres command commands.
f. Having an AVM command the RAF.

What a saving in wages!
Ace you have a very good point. the last time I looked at he figures the officer to men ration in the services were as follows...

RN 1 : 4.5
RAF 1 : 2.5
Army 1 : 8-ish

Now cut this anyway you want but the Armed forces are well overdue a management clearout where lets face it, would make far greater saving than cutting equipment.

As for cutting the RAF, I cant beleive that practically no one on this forum gets the real problem here. Put simply Cut the Airforce and you will (a) Alienate a lot of potential recruits to the Military (b) Cause mass PvR's at a single stroke and consiquently (c) cause a masive military capability problem.
The RAF MUST survive for the same reasons as the Fleet Air Arm and Army Air Corps

PEOPLE!