PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2002, 04:36
Reheat On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Daily Mail are usually pretty proactive on injustice campaigns, and not afraid to have a crack at the Government of the day. they must be worth a phone call. I am aslo surprised the DT have not taken it further.

What is needed is some dodgy advisory e-mail - not being flippant here, and anyway the incident was pre MoD e mail, but you know what I mean. In view of the Paddington news this week, you can bet this campaign has been vetted for political motive, and the lead individuals probably deeply vetted.

However there is a down side to raising the PR stakes - because ulitmately if you are playing poker with 2 pairs [4 Aces ] it don't matter how much you can flatten the other side, if they have a huge warchest they can see you off the park. You have the winnning hand but still lose - unless you can find a benefactor. Someone with huge public clout who could lead. Question - who?

There are of course the familes to consider - any attempt at the very public route would have to be with their consent.

I have more faith in the Scots justice systrem and the Scots Parliament than I do in London, where El Presidente knows no limits to his arrogance and disregard for protocol, as the Jubilee proved in a different way.

Brian's questions listed above seem to allude to a significant engineer somewhere in the loop, and one wonders if it is the engineering branch that are holding the parcel at the moment, and a little fearful of the music stopping.

The can of worms may be in that argument somewhere, unless it is the simple issue of the peace process at all costs.

Maybe there is a fear that a decision on this case would raise concerns that a/c maintenance would be vunerble to wholesale contractorisation, which of course may be a hidden agenda at MoD anyway. I have been convinced that the treasury are locked in a deth battle with MoD for some years, and the contractorisation process slots in nicely to a weakening of their direct sphere of influence.

We could do a lot worse than have a concerted letter campaign to our MPs for starters, as many of you have. Good letters to the DT and The Times are always worth a try as well, and if they have a high profile series of names on them, they can be effective.

As Brian says, it costs little to keep trying. Think of it as a bit like eating an elephant.