PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down near Andover
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 09:28
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cows getting bigger
"Push forward", "EFATO", "Unload" are all rather vague terms for the ab-initio. My first thought is that if you ever have an engine failure in any climb or significant turn (not just after take-off) you will need to react more quickly than if the failure occurs in straight & level flight/descent.

In a previous version of a EFATO thread I advanced the push, quick response, slip to the back of the drag curve .... concepts and was told by someone with great experience b@lls.

I then went out and tried it. At least in my aircraft, after a sudden loss of power it will gracefully and automatically pitch forward to maintain trimed airspeed with out aid of human hand. It oscillates a bit and overshoots so flying is obviously better. In conversation, we concluded PUSH is important to drill into ourselves so that we don't HOLD in the climb position and are phsycologically expecting to pitch to a position where the ground is the bulk of what you can see out the window.

In my experiment I was surprised at how big the change from mostly sky to mostly ground was - So I felt I learned something in that hour or so of practicing.