PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the Tories Axe the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 07:11
Boslandew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SH

MGD

It wasn't an idea, it was a question.

You have stated the current position but not the reason why it should be that way. Any transition, SH to the Army would be fraught with problems, (not really sure that the wishes of SH are relevant to the defence of the realm) but the end result, I submit, would be more effective.

Jackonico

I'm part persuaded by your argument for a JHF. Might I ask what percentage of its flying hours the SH use for RN/RAF resupply ie. other than support for the Army, 'cos I suspect it's a bit a a red herring?

I must dispute your implication that the RAF alone understands air. The Apache operation shows a real appreciation of the advantages of having attack pilots who have extensive experience of ground war fighting.

I have read little to support your assertion that senior Army people, lets call them Generals, do not understand and appreciate Army Air. Development and introduction of the Westland Apache with its quantum jump (for the AAC) in technology, skill-levels both flying and engineering and capability, let alone the colossal cost, suggests that the movers and shakers in the Army appreciate all too well what integral air-support offers.

Finally, may I make it clear that my view in no way implies any criticism of the SH crews in Afghanistan or elsewhere. They do a superb job, day after day, with little of the much deserved publicity given to the ground troops.