PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will the Tories Axe the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 17:27
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need to put things in perspective.

In order to raise the cash necessary to cover last months' deficit alone, not including Interest on the outstanding debt, we would have to raised the fuel duty escalator by 15p a litre for a year. Alternatively, we could raise income tax across the board by 15p on the pound. We arent even paying off the debt yet and assumes current levels of pay, employment and consumption.

We need to face facts. There are going to be some savage, and I mean savage choices to make, whether we like it or not. Balls can gripe on about 2 billion cuts in education spending. Cable can stir up electoral rage with 0.5% annual tax on properties over 1 million. It isnt going to be enough, by half, by a tenth. They are going to hike everything, by pretty savage amounts. The other option being state default and a letter to the IMF, the penalty of which will be an enforced budet and hiked interest rates. They are also going to cut pretty savagely - I very much doubt promises on the NHS will remain extant with this FY's deficit likely to hit 225 billion this year alone, 50 billion more than the budgeted 175 billion amount. Trident, the cancellation of which, would currently cover just over 2 months' deficit, is a pipe dream that politically is desirable as a pair of boll*cks stapled to ones forehead. The pound is going to get trashed, they will have to continue printing QE to fund the horrendous amount of gilts that will need funding.

I think whatever happens, no matter how much it pains me to say this, we will be the lucky ones (other than my GP or local NHS surgeon). We WILL have to learn how to say "no" a lot more though, especially if cuts in resources, be they manpower or parts, lead to situations where we cannot maintain the safe operation of aircraft. Anything else will be a bonus. We need to survive as single services, I agree. But someone is going to need to decide what our long term aim is, and base spending priorities off that, capability cuts are most definately coming.

When Joe Shmoe in th the street is paying £1.60 a litre and getting hit with 35% tax on everything over a 10K salary, his tax credits has been cut and the number of overtime hours he can work due to a stalling economy is starting to hurt the family coffers, you can guarantee Defence spending will feature pretty low on the cabinet's spending priority list. It doesnt matter if it is right or wrong, thats where we are.

Last edited by VinRouge; 21st Sep 2009 at 17:54.