PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down near Andover
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 17:13
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that it may be of much relevance to the incident in question but:

Rod1

I was taught to check airspeed and if in normal cruse, pull up. I have to slow from 138kn to 70kn and the considerable height I would gain would be of considerable assistance in finding a suitable landing site. I would recommend the advice;
If you are looking out when you pull up (particularly above the aircraft) you are not looking for a suitable field and therefore wasting valuable time (and some of the height gained).

There is an argument whether it is better to pull up or to maintain level flight and let the speed bleed off whilst looking for a field.

englishal

First action in the event of an engine failure in a single-engine type is to achieve, maintain, and trim for best glide speed, whilst searching for a suitable landing area. Once that has been identified

Perhaps I should clarify - the first thing you should do with an engine failure at take off is to push.....
Are you on the correct Thread? What on earth has an EFATO to do with this discussion?!

'Pushing' is not an aeronautical term I'm familiar with. Adopting the 'glide attitude' is better whether or not there is a need to 'push' or 'pull' the control column will depend on the phase of flight and the attitude and trim of the aeroplane. Don't presuppose that 'pushing' is necessarily the most appropriate action, although adopting a nose down attitude will, most likely, require a forward movement of the control column if the engine fails when the aircraft is in a climbing attitude immediately after take-off.

JW411

I agree entirely.

Respect for the dead, but insofar as a discussion regarding the accident itself is concerned is what a 'discussion forum' is all about - surely? No discussion about a fatal aircraft accident is pleasant, but the causes and the possible cure or avoidance of a similar occurrence must be of benefit to all. If not then why bother discussing such matters on PPRuNe at all?

FOK