PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oversize passengers - neighbours rights?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 16:09
StrongEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Bealzebub, I sincerely appreciate your insights and views.

Permit me to first state that I have no problem with the captain having absolute authority over the ship... I cannot imagine it being any other way. Permit me to also say that in the majority of circumstances, crew at all levels have behaved in a professional manner. I'm not new to conflict and problem resolution; as a project manager for large scale projects this consumes most of my professional life.

Most of my contracts permit me business class travel for international and economy class for domestic. So, after a relatively luxurious trip on an Asian carrier from Singapore to LAX or IAH, I get to experience the 'joys' of domestic airline service.

I observe one thing directly. The power of the captain is all to often displayed in an arrogant, controlling, and self serving manner by cabin crew, far different than what I experience on Asian carriers. Second, from indirect observation, the airlines seem to be a 'zero tolerance' environment. Those that are removed are charged.

So, even if I had a reasonable request, my experience is that I will not be treated with any compassion, indeed, I will be treated as a trouble maker, with no recourse, and if you as the captain, did decide to eject me, I get the whole book thrown at me... kind of like the zero tolerance policies that get school kids expelled for drugs... except the drugs were an asthma inhalant or a prescription medicine.

You could call me jaded and be exactly right. I've been flying for business since 1967, and the overall changes that I have seen are dismal. It's not only about the increased packing levels, it is about how I am treated... and captain, knowing that your opportunities are limited, it would still be great if you could remind your crew to put us SLF's first... a denigrating term that ought to be eliminated from the vernacular.

Cheers.... and thanks for all the safe flights.