PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Updates to AIS Website
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 15:18
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updates to AIS Website

As a result of representations made by me on behalf of AOPA UK a number of changes have been made to the way the UK AIS Websaite at www.ais.org.uk works.

Full details here.

These include:-

1. Automatic cookie-based login. If you click the "Remember Me" check box when logging in then a cookie will be placed on your computer and you will be able to bookmark pages within the site that normally require a login to access. Providing the cookie remains present you will be able to go direct to a page in the secure area without the need to log in.

2. There's a new gross error check. From time to time people use a route waypoint that is not what they think it is. For example IW used to be an NDB at Bembridge that has been withdrawn from service. The ICAO code IW was also used for a marker beacon at JFK New York (IW=Idlewild for those as old as me). Another example is to use SWB thinking its the ICAO for Shawbury when in fact it's the ICAO for the Sawmill VOR/DME in the USA. Previously you'd get loads of "irrelevant" stuff in your brief. Now you'll get a warning asking if you're sure you meant what you entered.

3. Choosing validity dates in the past or more than 7 days ahead will similarly produce a warning.

4. Saved briefings when being re-used where being automatically given a new briefing ID. That's now been stopped so if you create one called "Local" for your local area it will remain being called that.

5. Browser compatibility has been improved for Opera/Firefox users.

6. General improvements to error messages.

The software people are keen on getting user feedback so post your thoughts.

Mike