PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic Cadetship / Sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 11:52
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown with a few graduates of this programme, I would make the following comments. These people have top quality flying skills as well as a rounded mature, searching attitude to their day to day operation. The end product (if you will,) is so good that either the apprenticeship and training is stunning, or the initial selection process is very streamlined and thorough. I don't know, but I suspect it is an intricate combination of both. I also suspect that this scheme attracts candidates who have a real desire and ability to work their way up.

In my experience, the only disappointment with the pilots who have graduated from this scheme is that you don't get to fly with them for very long, because they are usually early candidates for the left hand seat.

I admit to not having a single clue what this programme looks for in its applicants. However my observations of the end result would suggest that it is somebody who is bright, versatile, hard working, adaptable, determined, knowledgeable, well spoken, polite, and has a broad level of general education and knowledge, such that their interests and conversation go well beyond simply themselves. They are also likely to be the first people volunteering for something that others might simply see as hard work. To that end they are fast learning pilots, who are interesting, good company, likely to keep you on your toes, valuable, and an absolute pleasure to work with.

I don't think it is so much a case of whether this scheme is of interest to you, more than whether you are the right sort of calibre of person for this scheme. I would suspect that few people are, and of those few, you would be lucky to be selected for such a good apprenticeship.

I am not in the general habit of endorsing things, or of blowing smoke simply to spare peoples feelings, and it may be that the limited degree of my experience skewers the result. However I can only comment on what I have seen, and that is that the pilots I have flown with from this programme have been very good and very successful.