PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oversize passengers - neighbours rights?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 11:29
Final 3 Greens

Strong Eagle

I don't know what would happen under these circumstances.

To show one end of the spectrum, I was on a flight a few months ago where the cabin crew decided they were not going to serve alcholic or hot drinks (industrial dispute) and only announced it after pushback.

The passenger next to me called the hostess and asked to be offloaded, as he would prefer to make alternative arrangements.

To cut a long story short, the purser went white as a sheet and rushed off to the flight deck, coming back to say they couldn't return to stand.

At the end of the day, we both lodged strong complaints with the airline.

I don't know exactly what compensation he got, but I know that I received a complimentary return flight in the same class as compensation for the service delivery failure. I imagine that worked out rather less costly than missing a slot and the other financial implications of a return.

So the airline might compensate you for your troubles.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have also seen a return to stand and someone arrested for disruption under different circumstances.

Personally, I wouldn't undo my belt and stand up after departure, as you are disobeying a lawful command from the PIC.

One obvious remedy is to move the larger peeps into A&B and you to C. At least you would have breathing space on one side.

I guess a lot would depend on how you behaved and also how sympathetic the crew were on the day and whether the airline considered itself to have any responsibility (and one one need a lawyer to take a view on that.)

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 21st Sep 2009 at 12:05.